Meditation- How do I start???
Commit to showing up! But don’t beat yourself up if you miss a practice or two. Kinda defeats the purpose if you get angry with yourself. So, here’s a quick way to begin meditating:
1. Set up a place for sitting – try and pick same place, same time, same cushion or mat where you will sit and breathe each time.
2. Use a timer- Use a meditation app like Calm to track your sessions and time them so you don’t have to be worrying about the clock. Start with 3 minutes and just sit until the timer goes off.
3. Be alert and relaxed – your body stature affects your state of mind and presence. Upright back and yet also relaxed in muscle tension. Don’t be so comfortable you fall asleep! Lol.
4. Begin with the breathe – notice the air flow coming into your nose and out of your body. Breathe naturally.
5. Find your anchor – where do you notice this amazing gift of breathing? At the end of your nostril where the hairs move as you inhale? Or maybe farther up your nostril as thy flare? Maybe it is the rise and fall of your chest. Find your sensation and make that the focus of your attention.
6. Train your concentration – observe your breathing…as the monkeys start wanting to play and thoughts begin coming in, recognize them gently and then let them go. Then refocus back on your breathe.
7. Enjoy the rest and rejuvenation of meditation. Relax and embrace the journey!
Try this tonight before bed!!!
May you be happy
May you be safe
May you be healthy
May you be at peace
** For more posts about this topic, check out the category Mindfulness & Meditation to the right! Enjoy!
– Always, Owl